The 4th annual Madeline Festival will be held on Saturday June 6, celebrating the connection that Oswego and Fort Ontario have with Ludwig Bemelmans, author of the beloved Madeline book series.
The event features kite flying, period games, crafts, a children’s parade, an art exhibit, Madeline book readings, a play, food booths and free admission to Fort Ontario.
- Play at the Gypsy Wagon 10:00, 12:00 and 2:00
- Parade 1:00 – Starts at the Art Association
- Ice Cream Social – after the Parade, about 1:30. Free. Parade Participants line up first
Free and continuous all day
- Kite Flying – professional kiters available for advice!
- Arts & Crafts at the Art Association
- Entrance to the Arts Exhibit “Madeline in Oswego” in the top floor of the Art Association
- Old Fashioned Games with Miss Clavel
- Madeline Book readings in a tent by the fort entrance – except during plays, parade and ice cream social
- Free entrance to the stone Fort. See the buildings, casemates and view from the ramparts!
- Bookmobile distributing free books
- Photo opportunities with the cut outs of the Madeline characters and author Ludwig Bemelmans
KiteFest – Professional Kiters flying all day!
- Bring your own kite or buy one from the Kitefest vendor.
- Make a Kite at the Art Association – buy a $7 white kite and decorate it. Then fly it!
Food 11:00 to 3:00
- Hot dog booth run by Friends of Fort Ontario near the Entrance to the Stone Fort
- Hot Dogs $3, Chips and Candy $1, Water $1. Soda $1.50.
- Costume hats available for anyone needing a quick costume – the Art Association is selling Madeline for $3 and Pepito hats for $5 for the Parade.
- The Parade assembles at the Art Association and marches at to the Fort
- The free ice cream social, by the Children’s Museum of Oswego, is in the fort after the parade. Parade Participants get served first!